For a long time, VPN services were known only in the corporate environment. However, in recent years, ordinary users are increasingly interested in them. And it is not surprising, because the blocking of various sites has become commonplace on the part of the authorities. And when expressing your opinion on the network, it is sometimes important to remain as anonymous as possible.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) encrypts traffic between the user and the server. This way, you will have a different IP address (referring to the country of your choice), and the provider and other interested parties will not know which sites you have opened. VPN services allow you to bypass the blocking of sites, with their help you can also go to resources, access to which is limited by geography. It is worth noting that bypassing blocks is not a violation of the law.
To use a VPN, it is enough to install the service application on your computer or smartphone, and it, in turn, will direct traffic through secure channels.
What to look for when choosing a VPN?
1.Business model of the service. There are a lot of free VPNs available, but we would advise using them with caution: news that a particular service has sold customer data does not appear so rarely. It is better to choose paid, which is important reputation. As an option, services from companies for which VPN is not the main source of income. For example, built into the well-known browser Opera VPN.
2. In which country the service is registered. It depends on what laws it obeys. It is believed that the highest level of legal protection will be received by VPN users located in Finland, Hong Kong and Panama.
3. Check whether the service stores logs, whether it keeps connection logs.
4. What payment methods are possible. Most services support bank cards and payment systems, but some super secure VPNs only accept cryptocurrencies.
5. Specify in which countries the servers are available. For example, if you want to watch Polish TV series (as a rule, sites with free content limit the geography of users), you will need Poland, if you want to use the Pandora music service, then the USA. But if you are abroad and want to continue listening to Yandex. Music, Russia will come in handy.
6. Test the quality of work and the speed of the connection. Paid services offer a test period, it is worth using it. It so happens that in one service the channel to the country you need is unstable or the Internet speed is too low. A slow connection will put an end to the use of services with movies or music.
7. Pay attention to the VPN protocol and encryption technologies. OpenVPN (an open source protocol) and AES-256 (a popular and reliable encryption standard) are usually sufficient.
8. Number of connections. An important point is if there are several devices on your home network and everyone needs protection. 9. Additional features, for example, dedicated IP, P2P support for downloading torrents, Double VPN option (a bunch of two VPN servers for maximum protection) and so on.
So which VPN service to choose?
THERE are a lot of VPN services, in this article there is no way to consider everything. We recommend detailed reviews, such as this. And here we will mention only 3 of the most popular.
NordVPN– Perhaps the most famous. More than 6000 servers, 59 countries, up to 6 simultaneous connections, Panamanian jurisdiction, cost about $ 6 per month. The speed is excellent, the level of privacy is at an altitude, the service does not keep activity logs. Minus – there is no free trial, but they promise to return the money within 30 days if something does not suit you.
ExpressVPN– Another popular service is one of the fastest and most reliable, works on the basis of its own Trusted Server technology, does not store logs. More than 3000 servers, up to 5 connections, more than 90 countries to choose from, located in the Virgin Islands. The test is given 30 days, then the subscription will cost about $ 8 per month.
TunnelBear– More than 3000 addresses, 22 countries, under Canadian jurisdiction, up to 5 devices at a time. Not the most advanced in terms of features, does not support torrenting and streaming services, but the most popular among free. Shareware, of course, since without a subscription you can use only 500 MB per month (it is enough to view blocked sites or orders in foreign stores that are not available in the Russian Federation). There are no complaints about security. A paid subscription costs $5 when paying for a year.